• Scofield2015     25个 native 口语表达

    • Just for Fun

    • 片段讲解秀

    • from:《未知》


    adapted from 2016-09-06 英语世界

    01
    I beat you to it.
    ►beat somebody to it:
    比某人抢先一步做了某事。

    ▷I was just about to open some wine but I see you've beaten me to it.
    我刚想开瓶酒呢,看来你抢在我前头开了啊。

    02
    Jimmy stood me up last night.
    ►stand someone up:
    放某人鸽子。爽约。

    ▷He stood up his date while he played basketball with the guys.
    他因为和基友们打篮球,放了女朋友的鸽子。

    03
    All I want to do is zone out in front of the TV.
    ►zone out:
    指让思想放空,对周遭事物浑然不觉。Zone是区域的意思,zone out相当于思想游离到另一个地方去了……

    ▷At the end of a long, stressful day, all I want to do is go home and zone out in front of the television.
    经过漫长的压力山大的一天,我现在只想回家坐在电视机前发呆。

    ►in the zone:
    相反的,in the zone就是指精力集中,精神状态极佳,尤指运动员、表演者的表现。

    ▷I love when I'm running on a nice day with my headphones on and I just get in the zone. I feel like I can keep running forever.
    我喜欢天气好的时候戴上耳机去跑步,感觉精神状态特别好,好像能永远跑下去。

    04
    Without further ado, I would like to...
    ►without further ado [ə'du:]:
    闲话少说;进入正题。Ado意思是忙乱、纷扰、麻烦……

    ▷And so, without further ado, let me introduce you to tonight's speaker.
    所以,闲话少说,下面就有请今晚的演讲嘉宾。


    05
    I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.
    ►haven't seen the last of (something):
    某事物消失了,但你觉得它还会卷土重来,就可以用这个表达。

    ▷We got rid of the ants in the kitchen, but I bet we haven't seen the last of them.
    我们把厨房里的蚂蚁都弄走了,不过我打赌它们还会出现的。

    这是一个比较戏剧化的说法,所以常在电视里听到。比如反派被打败了,也许会有这样的台词:

    ▷You win this time, but you haven't seen the last of me!
    这次算你赢!但别以为我就会这么消失!灭哈哈哈……


    06
    It will come to me.
    ►it will come to someone:
    会想起来的。忘了什么事的时候,可以说这句话。

    ▷It'll come to you. The minute you stop trying to find it, it will find you.
    你会想起来的。你不去费劲去找它的时候,它就会自动出现。


    07
    We went out of our way to please the visitor.
    ►go out of one's way:
    努力、费尽麻烦做某事。

    ▷I went out of my way to make sure they were comfortable.
    我费尽心力确保他们能住得舒服。

    ▷We appreciate anything you can do, but don't go out of your way.
    你做的一切我们都很感激,但千万别太麻烦自己。

    08
    Hold on. Just hear me out first.
    ►hear someone out:
    听某人说完他想说的,或者,倾听某一方的说法。

    ▷Let him talk! Hear him out! Listen to his side!
    让他说!听他说完!看看他怎么说!

    ▷Hear out the witness. Don't jump to conclusions.
    我们要所有证人的证词都听一遍,不要武断下结论。

    09
    So do we have an agreement?
    ►do we have an agreement:
    通常在商定一件事后说的话。对方同意了,就表示讨论的事情就这么定下了。

    也可以说:

    ▷Do we have a deal?
    那就这么定了?

    ▷Do we have an understanding?
    我们都很明确对方的想法对吧?

    10
    Just a heads up.
    ►a heads up:
    给某人提个醒,提前告知一声。“Heads up”说法来自体育运动,在扔球前,让对方抬头,别被砸着。后来广泛用于社交场合。

    ▷Just a heads up - we're going to have to meet soon.
    先跟你说一声,我们很快会见面的。

    ▷I wanted to give you a heads up that I'll be sending you the revised form for your approval.
    我想提前告诉你一下,我一会儿把修改好的表格发给你审核。

    11
    When's it due?
    ►due:
    通常指交作业、交账单的最后期限。

    ▷When is this paper due?
    论文要什么时候交?

    另外,如果due的对象是人,那么意思多半指预产期。

    ▷When are you due?
    你啥时候生?

    12
    Well, what's done is done!
    ►what's done is done:
    无法改变的事情,只能将就了。文绉绉一点就是,覆水难收、木已成舟。

    ▷It's too late to change it now. What's done is done.
    现在换已经来不及啦,认了吧。

    13
    Can you put me up for a few days?
    ►put someone up:
    给某人提供临时住宿。

    ▷When my in-laws were here we put them up at the Four Seasons.
    老婆家的亲戚来的时候,我们安排他们住四季酒店了。

    14
    I might take you up on that.
    ►take someone up on something:
    接受某人的邀请,或接受某人提出的建议。

    ▷I took him up on his offer to take me out to dinner.
    他邀我约会吃饭,我答应了。

    也可以用这个表达来接受某人的打赌挑战。

    ▷He bet me twenty bucks that I couldn't get a perfect score, and I took him up on it.
    他赌20块我考不好,我决定跟他赌一把。

    15
    I'm keeping my options open.
    ►keep one's options open:
    等待中,尚未做决定。Option是选择、选项。

    ▷I want to keep my options open, so I didn't sign the contract yet.
    我想再等等看,所以还没签合同。

    16
    You might want to reconsider it.
    ►you might want to (do something):
    建议某人做某事的礼貌说法。适用于各种场合,是对陌生人、同事或亲密的人都可以用的句法。

    ▷Babe, you might want to trim that beard...
    亲爱的,你是不是该修修胡子啦……

    ▷You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games.
    你应该多花些时间在学习上,少玩些游戏。

    ►类似地,告诫对方不要做某事,可以说,you don't want to...

    ▷You don't want to rush things.
    不要操之过急。

    17
    We've just been catching up with each other.
    ►catch up with (someone):
    朋友之间彼此了解近况。

    ▷It was so lovely catching up with you.
    能和你聊聊近况真开心。

    18
    There is just no such thing as God.
    ►There is just no such thing as... :
    某种情况是不存在的。

    ▷There's no such thing as love. It's just fantasy.
    根本没有“爱情”这回事。不过是你的幻想而已。


    19
    I think you need to get your priorities straight.
    ►get one's priorities straight:
    分清主次。Priority [prai'ɔrəti],指优先考虑的事情。

    ▷Our top priority right now is making sure that everyone is OK.
    我们目前的当务之急是确保每个人都无恙。

    ▷Amazing how fire exposes our priorities.
    大火能暴露我们最在意的东西,真神奇。


    20
    To put it another way, I don't like it.
    ►to put it another way:
    换言之。Put,有表达的意思。

    ▷You're still very young, Tom. To put it another way, you don't have any idea about what you're getting into.
    汤姆,你还太年轻。换句话说,你不知道自己现在正陷入什么。

    ▷Well, that's one way to put it.
    好吧,也可以这么说。

    ▷The subject matter makes the painting a little, how shall I put it, undesirable for public display.
    这幅画的主题有点……该怎么说呢,不大适合展览出来。

    21
    I get yelled at all the time.
    ►get yelled at:
    字面意思就是被人吼,被人骂。指受到批评、责骂。

    ▷I got yelled at for not calling.
    我没打电话,被骂了。

    ▷Do you get yelled at a lot in the military?
    在部队里会经常被训斥吗?

    22
    I will check on Jeff while he's not feeling well.
    ►check (up/in) on something/someone:
    查看某人某事的情况,比如监督下属的工作状况、关心病人的病情、留意小孩是否安全等……

    ▷Go upstairs to check up on the children and make sure they're all asleep.
    上楼去看看孩子们睡了没。

    ▷I just thought I'd check in on you and see how you're doing.
    我就是想来看看你好些了没。

    22
    It happens. Don't worry about it.
    ►it happens:
    糟糕的事情发生时,用来安慰人的说法。相当于说,倒霉的事时常发生,别太在意。粗俗一点,还可以说,shit happens。

    ▷A: My girlfriend just broke up with me.
    我女票跟我掰了……

    B: It happens.
    节哀顺变。

    ▷John stepped in a big pile of dog shit, so Tom said "it happens".
    约翰踩到狗屎了,汤姆说,踩踩更健康。


    21
    It's on me.
    ►it's on me:
    我来付账。也可以说,This one's on me.

    ▷John: Check, please.
    你好,结账。

    Bill: No, it's on me this time.
    别啊,这顿我请。

    ►商家免费送的商品或服务,可以说on the house.

    ▷I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was on the house.
    我是第一万个客户,所以那顿晚餐就免费了。

    ▷Here, have a cup of coffee on the house.
    免费送您一杯咖啡,请慢用。

    22
    My computer is acting up again.
    ►act up
    (疾病)发作;(机器)出毛病;(孩子)调皮捣蛋。

    ▷My left knee acts up in damp weather.
    天气一潮我左膝盖就发作。

    ▷The children have been acting up all evening.
    整个晚上孩子们都在调皮捣蛋。

    23
    Is that a thing?
    ►(something) is a thing:
    很流行很出名,或者人人熟知的某事物,可以叫“a thing”。这是年轻人常用的口语说法,正式场合慎用。

    ▷A: His ideas are so out-of-the-box. They're boxless!
    他脑洞实在太大了,想法好新奇,完全是boxless!

    注:out-of-the-box:形容不同寻常的创意想法。

    B: "Boxless?" Is that a thing?
    Boxless?现在人们都这么说了么?

    A: No, I just made it up.
    呃,没,我刚瞎编的。

    ▷Huge, baggy suits were kind of a thing back in those days.
    那时候特别流行那种宽宽大大的西装。

    24
    It doesn't hurt to ask.
    ►it doesn't hurt to:
    做某件事有百利而无一害。

    ▷It doesn't hurt to have a group of talented, educated people living in your community.
    小区里住着一群有才、有教养的人没什么不好的。

    25
    I'm just looking.
    ►just looking...
    表示随便看看,是购物时遇到推销的导购,最好的回答。

    ▷-Hi, can I help you?
    你好,需要帮忙吗?

    -No thanks, I'm just looking!
    不用了,谢谢,我就随便看看。

    1970-01-01   13赞       0踩       827浏览 评论(5)
Scofield2015
男 魔仙lv73

90434/1000000000

粉丝 1643关注 42